After roughly 72+ hours of travelling, sleeping in 5 different beds and in the van, breathing the air of 10 different states and another country, inhaling thousands of unhealthy calories from fast food restaurants and snack/junk food in the car, and drinking gallons of carbonated drinks… we are home. and detoxing. our lifesavers on the trip (Luke’s pacifier, Superwhy DVD, and treats, way too many treats) are now banned as we try to resume normal eating, exercising, and sleeping! But we had a BLAST!!!
For those of you who haven’t heard the stories, our trip was quite eventful (good and not so good)…
on the way out:
- blown fuse to power/radio (in the driveway),
- yummy dinner and visit with Evans
- Christina’s car in a snowbank with popped tire (in Nebraska),
- towed to Grand Island (thanks Wes’ AAA), new tire rod & 4 snow tires,
- screaming toddler from 3-4 am & 5-6:30 am in hotel (in Nebraska),
- Luke’s barefeet dipped in snow, thus developing fear of it
- Christina pulled over for speeding (in Nebraska) (warning only thankfully),
- sledding with Peo’s
- lost keys to van (in Utah)
- spent extra day with Peo’s
- van towed to SLC (thanks Wes’ AAA), rekeyed by dealer
- pulled over for headlight out (in Montana) (just noticed in the town before, warning only)
- detained at the border for 5 days (okay not really)
- New Year’s Eve with Grandpa & Grandma Payne, and Payne family
- play with Sam, Lauren, Abi, Matt, Drew and new puppy Rusty (Luke in heaven)
- weiner roast in Waterton, Luke overcomes fear of snow!
- Christmas presents from Grandpa and Grandma Payne! thank you thank you!
- transfer 800+ slides to computer, reminisce a bit
- visit with old friends, a little boys foosball tourney, game night at Pam’s
- Darin: sick, not moving from couch all day, throwing up, Nada: disgusting cold
- Darin: 1 cavity filled, Nada: 1 cavity filled, (thanks, Dustin!)
- adult night out (plus Natabear, asleep mostly), dinner at Moxie’s, Avatar 3D!
- play some more with cousins, sad to leave
- Luke rides in Grandpa’s truck, loves it!
- Natalie starts “talking” and smiling more!
on the way home:
- Luke pukes in carseat, car smells of puke and Lysol
- spend extra day with Peo’s, cleaning seat, relaxing before the long haul
- bought new headlight bulb
- arrive in KC at 3am, Luke goes to sleep at 5, wakes up at 8 = tired Mom
- multiple breaks keep Luke sane, arrive home 8pm
- Nebraska sucks, it was the coldest state, and cursed… sorry Nebraskans, didn’t like it.
- we’re all gonna get sick while travelling, its a part of life
- stories on CD rock
- we love family, really love family, and would do it all over again just to be with them!